Angelico Press, you say? Hmmmm…

What has our nostalgic and handsome friend been up to?

And looky here at this cover! Strangely familiar, that.

Comments

1. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

A lot of good stuff on their catalog, to be sure, but — thanks to an essay by none other than Daniel Mitsui — I know better than to bring a book by sexual predator Eric Gill back into print with a laudatory introduction. That’s one awful apple in an otherwise pretty appealing bushel.

• I read that essay, and I won’t even use Gill Sans font anymore. Despicable.

• Jonathan Potter says:

I’m confused. Are you actually affiliated with this outfit, Angelico?

• I think the man meant what he said – he knows better than to bring Gill back into print with a laudatory intro.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

That’s a bingo. I’m no more affiliated with Angelico Press than Jonathan Potter runs the town from It’s a Wonderful Life. The link Lickona posted was the first I’d ever seen or heard of ’em.

They should purge their catalog of that Eric Gill book, but I do wish them well.

• Jonathan Potter says:

I don’t run the town, but I am the head librarian at Pottersville Public Library in the Georgeless version of reality.

2. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Interesting detail: Four of the thirteen Trustees of Angelico Press are J.D.’s.

They also have a Nashville Dominican; Anthony Esolen; and — perhaps my favorite, at the very head of the list — a woman who rejoices in the given name of ‘MacBeth’.

• Imelda/Sophia, O.P. says:

Sister Mary Dominic Pitts, O.P. is a Southern lady after the mold of Flannery O’Connor: tough, smart, and can spin a yarn like nobody I ever met.

The inestimable Professor Esolen, to boot?

I’m sold.