It was comforting to know the neighbors had stopped speaking.

The Wisconsin Poet sends along a link to a bit of genius hilarity: Unhappy Hipsters.

Comments

1. cubeland mystic says:

…but austerity appeals to me on so many levels.

2. CM,

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. You of ALL people shoud know that as we feed our eyes so our soul will follow.

To paraphrase (if I have my Latin right) the Wisdom of Holy Mother Church: lex vivendi, lex credendi.

As we live, so we believe. Even a hermit's cell will have something in it which obtains to beauty, let it be merely the miniature nativity scene which Brother Haimorrhoides carved so meticulously from the large slice of toenail off his big toe from his right foot.

But these people in these pictures live in a world absolutely starved of beauty, aphixiated with self-involvement and disembowled by the harrows of secular hegemony.

Living machines, indeed.

3. Cubeland Mystic says:

My whole industry is populated by Unhappy Hipsters.

They don't really see that their materialism is a misguided form of worship. Instead of perfecting themselves, they try to perfect the world around them. That is why they are sad people. The worst part of it is when they confront illness and death. They are almost lost at those times. They tend to turn back to the church but the survivors mill about lost unable to direct their thought toward what had just occurred to their loved one. Or the one dying has no tools to accept their fate. It's like waiting for a train or something.

For my part I like the empty space and clean lines. In the space I would create and icon corner or some such. There would be no other distractions. I could easily be absorbed into my icon corner if I had one. The austerity draws your thoughts to God. It really does.

I'd really like for you to watch this or perhaps Matthew would make a post out of this link. This is when a unhappy hipster anglican priest heads out to live like the Desert Father. I think he's a phony and the whole thing is contrived. The Bedouin are more spiritually developed than this man. Seriously I'd rather hang with the the guide, than him. He spends 3 weeks in a cave praying. In those caves you will find beauty, but there is the austerity of the desert. Check it out and let me know your thoughts. I would be a good fit for the desert, since my cube is very desert like, and there are many demons to there too.

4. Dorian Speed says:

I only just now figured out that "Cubeland" is related to "cubicle."

5. Cubeland Mystic says:

Dorian

That is correct I work in cube. It is pretty sad. It's covered in death-grey cloth. My white board is empty which is an icon of the corporate life. I am going to measure the cube soon. I am planning my escape. BTW, that is a beautiful picture of you and your child.

I was thinking about that priest in the documentary in Mass. He is loveless. He does not understand desert theology because he no concept of self-donation. To become a hermit is an act of total love. You love humanity so much that you retire to a hermitage, foregoing communal life so you can spend your life's energy in prayer for your fellow man. It is total love. He thought it was all about him. Some added reflection.

6. Dorian Speed says:

Thank you, er, Cubeland. May I call you Cubeland?

My husband worked in a series of cubes across states and cities, and acquired quite the collection of Dilbert paraphernalia. My son now reads books of Dilbert strips every morning over breakfast. We played Twenty Questions last night over dinner and my son chose Bob the Dinosaur for us to guess. "The category is – office humor!"

7. Cubeland Mystic says:

Dorian

Feel free to call me Cubeland. I think the scripture that best represents corporate life is when Jesus is talking about straining at gnats and swallowing camels.

Sorry for all the afterthoughts. This post caused a flood of memories to return. One reason (of many) for returning to the church is too many miserable prozac addled hipster co-workers in my life at the time. In addition to enduring their chronic narcissism, they put me off "fine" food and wine. As I started approaching middle age I realized this really isn't food appreciation–it's gluttony. I am probably treading on thin ice here. Forgive me. I look back and I see obsessing over aged grain fed beef, artisan cheese, and fine wine is a substitute for God. They are sacraments in a masturbatory religion. There's no real appreciation because there is no empathy for the process. Soft-bellied pink handed men talking daintily about hints of plum and black currant is false.

"Calf-leather? No I really think it was goat-leather on the finish with just a hint of fair-trade Ecuadorian cacao."

Really how does someone who doesn't labor in the fields know that their $5 dollar tomato from Holefoods is good? I have a bit of an ag background and I was a voracious gardener for a long time. I've made soups and stews where the vegetables were still wriggling when I threw them into the pot. It's all filler for the lack of God in their lives. It's really sick and sad when I look back.

Sorry if I offend, I felt like sharing.

8. Anonymous says:

old conversation I know, but yes and no, Cube, yes and no….I mean in one sense they replace God, but in another sense, they seek God. And He can be found in beauty and He can be found in Goodness. So, in so far as good food and good wine and good conversation are a reflection of God and God's love and are seen as such, there is significance in that. There is significance to the goodness, richness, beauty of this life, for it's own sake as well as because is can lead us to God if we are open to that. Asceticism has a purpose, yes, but often, it's end actually leads us to an appreciation of what is truly Good in this world you know? We appreciate the fine wine or the fine stew for what it is-a reflection of God and the beauty of His creation…we don't stop at the thing itself, we understand the Maker better through His creation. That was His intent. The simplicity of the cave is simply a way to carve away what distracts us from seeing Him in this life. When we can do this, experience God's greatness in the gift of a vine ripened tomato, in the gift a fine cook who knows what to do with it, in the making of a fine wine, in the profound significance of the gift of life itself, that is when we are close to knowing God. mcm

9. notrelatedtoted says:

Some random thoughts, from Not-Ted:

1.)Way to kill the joke, CM.

2.)Also, what mcm said.

3.) These "hipsters" look like yuppies to me. Am I that un-hip?

4.)CM, maybe it's just me, but I like knowing that there are guys like you out in there in cubeland. I think we have a tendency to isolate ourselves (just like the unhappy hipsters!)to the point where its shocking to find other "people of substance" out there in the corporate world. Maybe they are fewer than we'd like, but they're out there…and honestly, I think they NEED people like you around.

10. Cubeland Mystic says:

I tend to be a buzz killer. Sorry. The post brought back a lot of memories. I am not a hipster, had a lot of hipster friends and co-workers.

The real funny thing is my wife and I have met a lot of Catholic families in the last two years, and its really great. It's nice to see people on the same track as you are.