Check out the animated show Bat out of Hell on YouTube!

Mark Shea at his “let’s-kick-some-bitter-Trad-ass” best.

Comments

1. Korrektiv says

On the other hand, we fully endorse this.

2. Jonathan Webb says

My wife and I are honored to be considered worthy of belonging to this organization.

3. The Ironic Catholic says

So, would I get booted from the sidebar if I admitted liking Gather Us In? 🙂

(I know, the horror)

p.s. sorry about the deletion. Fingers typing before brain working; it’s a talent of mine

4. Jonathan Potter says

IC: We saw your comment. An ambiguous valentine with an expression of love for “this blog” — meaning this here blog or Mark Shea’s blog? Either way, expressions of love should never be deleted my dear fellow lolly-blogger!

I admit that Gather Us In doesn’t make me want to throw up either. It might be one of his better ones, lyrically at least. The music by itself does generate a slight churn of nausea, though. I’m not sure why.

5. The Ironic Catholic says

Yep, I was commenting that I liked the post (here, and at Mark Shea’s). I deleted the comment because I hadn’t noticed the Up With Classical, Down with Haugen-Haas-Joncas site cited on the first comment, and it sort of slams a couple of friends of mine. I know Mike Joncas and Roc O’Connor, one of the St Louis Jesuits. Wonderful human beings, deeply spiritual, and I like their music. So…that’s all.

I like Palestrina too. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Actually, I think “Shepherd Me, O God” may be the best Haugen one.

6. Jonathan Potter says

I attended a mass last week that included no fewer than three Haugen compositions, plus “Lord of the Dance.” I have to admit that, while I didn’t feel the need to excuse myself to hurl, I didn’t find the music personally edifying either. I suffered the music and I tried as best I could to offer up my suffering while trying to focus on the transformative event of the eucharist. If others were edified by the music, well, Halle-fucking-lujah for them — was the admittedly reptilian thought that occasionally crept into my meditations. I basically agree with Mark Shea’s main point, but on the other hand, I don’t think the widow’s mite analogy holds water completely. At the institutional level, there does seem to be something tyrannical and nefarious at work.