The Kids Are Alright…

…and besides, they asked so nicely. I was honored by the request.

The latest issue of Dappled Things (“The Catholic literary magazine for young scholars and the young at heart”) is up, and it seems that I went and gave ’em an essay and a short story, ripped from the unpublished pages of Book Two. An advance advance excerpt, if you will.

These folks limit their contributors to the under-35 set, which makes me something of an elder statesman – hoo! But seriously – I’d love to see the thing succeed. The notion of young Catholics interested in art sounds good to me. So I tossed my ante in. We’ll see what comes. If you wander over and read, I do hope you enjoy.

Comments

1. Dorian Speed says

*SPOILER*

I really wanted the priest to invite the young man in for dinner and they would Share A Moment That Would Change Their Lives Forever, but I could tell from my scrolling that the story was almost finished.

I liked your ending better.

And I enjoyed the appearance of an ankle-length denim jumper.

Thanks, ATP! And thanks for reading.

3. Steve Nicoloso says

Hey, “Meat” was great!! Reminded me a bit of Uncle Screwtape’s advice for Wormwood to encourage his “patient” to become a connoisseur of religions or liturgy (if my memory serves). Perhaps that was intentional, subliminal, or completely accidental…

But a great story… and I look forward to the next installment!!!

Well, thank you, Steve.
    That’s a favorite passage of mine from Screwtape; I’m sure it was at work somewhere.

5. Jonathan Potter says

Is this the Book 2 (“Scrapping with Similars”) that was censored by the USCCB and LP … or some other Book 2? In any case, hurray that some of it is seeing the light of day.

Yeah, it’s the original Book Two. Thanks, Jonathan.

7. Father Stephanos, O.S.B. says

“Dappled Things” . . .

but apparently not “dappled” as in “salt and pepper” hair.

8. Matthew,

Superb writing. I’m pretty sure I know that priest. He’s a good man, loves his people, but just got sidetracked somewhere. I’m pretty sure I know the young man as well. How often have I heard “I don’t like confessing to him, he doesn’t take it seriously enough.” Something I’ve recently realized says more about me than about Fr. Confessor.

Regardless, thank you for this gift.

peace…

You’re most welcome, Pedrox. Thanks for reading, and for your kind words.