Creepy

Does anybody else find those ads in which people lounge in public places watching tiny TVs just a tad creepy? Your show, your time, your place, everything just the way you like it, you lucky little isolated consumer, you. The other people passing you by? Pay them no mind. They, like you, are lucky isolated consumers, with different shows at different times in different places, everything just the way they like it. If you try to talk to one of them, you will have nothing to say, since you have completely engineered your experience to your specifications, and so have they, and never the twain shall meet. Bwahahahahahaha!

Comments

1. Notrelatedtoted says

But do people really interact in public beyond what’s expected or forced upon them? And without tv, what would we talk about? The weather? So really, t.v. in public is the logical thing – now we don’t have to bother talking to other people about the tv we watch, we can just watch and nod at each other! Brilliant!

Random strangers talking to me in public? That’s creepy.

It’s more the parading of one’s own isolation – look at me, watching my private little show while I ride next to you on the friggin’ escalator – that bugs me. Yeah, yeah, reading a book on the bus is equally solitary in the midst of a crowd…

3. Notrelatedtoted says

Sounds like the lament of the aging hipster to me. “Back in my day, we had ghetto blasters! And you carried ’em on our shoulders! And everybody had to listen to Rapper’s Delight, dammit!”

Face it, old man – you’re jealous. You want to be a citizen of Planet Ipod but how do those damn things work, anyways?

Just kidding, of course. It’s interesting that you point it out –
    all this technology is supposed to help you get out in the world, blah blah blah and yet it’s the same old thing: just watchin’ the tube as the world passes by…

Personally, I need a remote control to watch t.v., so until they can offer that, I’m not interested. Watching t.v. without it is like going to work without pants.

Take THAT Apple corporation.

4. Rachel Swenson Balducci says

In Mexico a few weeks ago, at the hotel pool, a family of four (mom, dad, two sons) sat in the lounge chairs by the pool. Each one had his own I-pod. All four, plugged in to individual worlds. Was one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen. My husband and boys were playing together in the water and me? I was enjoying a very nice beer on the side of the pool. Maybe I’m an anti-techno-snob, but I just saw that as really, really sad.

5. AnotherCoward says

Ahh … Reminds me of college …

“Dude … better door than a window …”

Rachel, there’s a brilliant idea lurking in your anti-techno-snobbery … I say we form the anti-techno-snob blog ring! It has such an allure to me.

6. Notrelatedtoted says

Beer can be a really good isolator sometimes. Or maybe that’s just me.

Just kidding. Really, I’m just using this as a test to see if I can get this profile pic to show up.

7. Notrelatedtoted says

The Nuge!!! That’s awesome.

8. Kevin Jones says

Just wait until technology beams entertainment directly into peoples’ brains and they stare out into space even more zombie-like than ever before.

Then pick their pockets.

9. Gee, that sounds terrible! Sounds like a Library where everyone is reading a book! Oh the horror!

10. Rachel Swenson Balducci says

I guess anonymous’ comment is directed at me. I can see the parallels between reading a book and listening to tunes, but there is a difference. With the headphones, you can’t hear anything going on around you. Just totally cut off.

11. Or maybe you’ve set the volume too loud! Most people I’ve come across can still hear ambiant noice despite the wearing of earphones. If you write and read, sometimes the concentration is so strong you can’t hear a thing outside your own head.

Anon 1K