The Sad Fate of the Self-Googler

Let’s say that our wretched Self-Googler (call him M.) has just written a book entitled Swimming with Scapulars (“with” is a very common term and was not included in your search), and is, despite his best efforts at spiritual detachment, curious to see if said book has caused any twitches upon the threads of the Interweb. Certainly, it is a thrill to see his title nestled into its very own page on Amazon, and it’s nice to be noticed by the alumni of one’s alma mater.

But see what a wretched end M. comes to as he presses on beyond page one of his search results: suddenly, he is finding entries entitled “Notes on Winter Feeding Behavior and Molt in Wilson’s Phalaropes.” Phalaropes? And who is Wilson?

Though alarmed, M. perseveres, only to encounter the Spotted Redshank, the Common Goldeneye, the improbably named Hottentot Teal, and the all-too-appropriate Brown Booby.

Self-Googling: it’s for the birds.

Comments

1. AnotherCoward says

I read the excerpt on Godspy, really enjoyed it, and plan on picking the book up soon…

So, hopefully that feeds your ego enough 😉

Dear Another Coward,
    Don’t feed the ego, reads the sign. You’ll never be able to fill it, and you’ll only end up making it hungrier. But thanks for reading!

3. AnotherCoward says

Thanks for writing… there’s not enough thoughtful, young Catholics writing about their life and their faith and trying to make sense of it all.

It’s nice to read all the wonderful blogs by the Reformed lot, but every now and then, it’s especially refreshing and encouraging to read someone has more your context. You’re a breath of fresh air for me.

Well, I’m grateful for that, and for your comments. Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep it up. I don’t know how the uber-bloggers do it.

5. Anonymous says

You look really cute in that bio photo wearing an arrow-pointer-shaped earring.

Anonymous,
    The ONLY time I’ve ever worn earrings was when I dressed as a woman for various costume parties… well, I thought they were costume parties… well, I wasn’t sure they WEREN’T costume parties. And besides, they were clip-ons. And that was years ago. Well, months. Well, not since Ash Wednesday. Not that I gave it up for Lent or anything.