‘… Still With You.’

From the Armadio degli Argenti of Blessed John of Fiesole, OP (Fra Angelico), c. 1450

‘… I rose up and am still with you.’

Psalm 139: 18

Comments

1. Matthew Lickona says:

The juxtaposition of the New Testament images with the Old Testament quotations is the most sublime part of these (well, apart from the art itself). But I’ve always been more ridiculous than sublime, and it’s like they say about like liking like. Which is to say, I love the tags.

Happy Easter!

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Re the Old Testament captions: Those are what really set this series of paintings apart for me, too. We juxtapose the Old and New Testament texts against each other all the time (in the liturgy, in books of theology or spirituality, in the annotations of our Bibles). And Daniel Mitsui is keeping alive the great tradition of juxtaposing images of Old and New Testament scenes and symbols within the same work. But I rarely see words from the Old Testament ‘played off’ images from the New (or vice versa), and it really does open up a slightly different way of thinking. Anyhow, thanks: I’m glad people ‘got’ this series. AMDG.

As for the tags — Well, I learned at the footnotes of the Master.

• Big Jon Bully says:

Amen. Thanks.

2. I guess He’s sticking around for a while.

3. These are lovely. I would very much like to go to the Museo di San Marco to see them. If anyone would like to send me, I’ll be glad to give you a P. O. box number where you can send a check. Of course, I guess that would mean I would have to get a P. O. box.

Happy Easter to all.

AMDG

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

If wishes were horses, we’d all be eating steak.

But Christ is risen, so no complaints here. Happy Easter to you and your household, Janet.

Alleluia, alleluia!

4. And Happy Easter to the Kollektiv. This was a lovely series, Angelico.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Thanks much, IC! Of course, it’s the other Angelico who really deserves the credit. Happy Easter to you and your family — alleluia, alleluia!

Did you happen to notice Big Jon’s theological question in the comments on earlier post? If not, I have now fulfilled my duty be bringing it to the attention of the Korrektiv House Theologian.

5. Louise Orrock says:

Happy Easter. I’m sorry not to have posted comments recently. I’ll have more energy as it gets warmer (I don’t have central heating).