And Now for Something Completely Pointless

Listening to Pandora on a rainy afternoon and I noticed this description of Van Morrison:

Equal parts blue-eyed soul shouter and wild-eyed poet-sorcerer

I am an unapologetic fan of blue-eyed soul and all-other-eye-colors-soul, but what I really want is for this description to be applied to me someday. Maybe in a eulogy or an awards show tribute? Bookmark this, is what I’m saying.

So, the rules of the ice-breaker are as follows: look up your favorite artist and post a one-sentence description of said person. Explain whether this could theoretically be applied to you. Only one person gets to pick Bob Dylan.

Oh, or maybe we could guess? Like, guess who you picked?

This is probably why I don’t get invited to many parties…

Comments

1. Southern Expat says:

Sometimes I choose the wrong venue for posting. This might have been more a Facebook kind of thing. Regardless, I need to tell you all that if you leave it on the Van Morrison station while organizing the pantry you WILL end up blasting John Lee Hooker’s “Blues Ain’t Nothin’ But a Pimp,” so maybe don’t do that if the children are playing nearby.

2. You can depend on that, provided that if I go first you tell everyone at the wake that I was a bad-assed pimp.

3. Flannery O'Connor's Cocktail Service says:

I have missed you so much.

4. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

My favorite kind of soul is rational soul, but please don’t let’s take the vegetative soul for granted!

5. The Duffer says:

Sometimes swan, sometimes nymph, not nympho-swan. At least, I don’t think so.

6. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

ARTIST:
    Ronnie Spector

ONE-SENTENCE DESCRIPTION:
    Ms Spector was one of the ‘first bad girls of rock ‘n’ roll’.

WHETHER THIS COULD THEORETICALLY BE APPLIED TO ME:
    No. (I may elaborate later.)

7. no favorite musician to speak of, but being high in the itunes rotation has to count for something. here goes:
    C L A P T O N E
    The man behind the mask did a rare interview in a hamburg baroque church’s confessional.
    I’d like to have an actual confession in a baroque church in the south of germany someday.

• Hey Paul, where’s Garfunkel?

• In elementary school we had a bus driver named Bonnie. Everyday I’d ask, hey Bonnie, where’s Clyde? And everyday she say, pushin’ up daisies.

She snuck Neccos out of her back pocket while she drove.

• Actually if I was to think really hard, I’d have to put down…
        ARTIST – _________ you guess
        DESCRIPTION – The man is known in connection to sandwiches, cancer, death, and Norway. (too easy, right?)
        APPLICATION – Only one of the four descriptors above apply to me.

8. “A voice that sounds like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car.”

Easy peasy.

Could it be applied to me? If only. As it is, most people say this about my face.

9. Jonathan Potter says:

“We set something up, and we had coffee, and when it was over, I walked away, thinking, ‘The guy’s an idiot. He can’t make a coherent sentence.’ ”

10. While ___ came into prominence as part of the late-’80s folky singer/songwriter revival, ____ had staying power where other artists from the same era quickly faded.

Oh yeah. Except I rock the folky theologian/blogger revival, I guess.