This is where we will eat the next time we go to Louisiana

Around noon, the priests file in for lunch. They meet every month to talk church business, rotating from parish to parish. But attendance is usually best in Lafourche Parish because they get to eat a meal at Alzina’s Kitchen: salad with roasted pears tossed with salt and chile flakes; creamed broccoli soup; jambalaya; green beans; fresh lasagna noodles with a crab and shrimp béchamel; a rice-stuffed and roasted chicken leg; and cabbage cooked for hours with pork tenderloin until it’s sweet and silky.

Read the whole thing at Garden and Gun.

Comments

1. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

If Garden and Gun‘s write-up is anything to go by, Ms Toups is a genuine Catholic artist. For the Korrektiv Kollektiv to give her some patronage would be nothing less than an act of solidarity.

2. Matthew Lickona says:

Seeing as how it’s an hour and a half drive from New Orleans, I’d say it also qualifies as an act of pilgrimage. But still. I’ve driven a lot further than that to eat well.

3. Jonathan Webb says:

Where were you when I needed you.

By the way, give me a vicarious experience of Waffle House. For example, how was the fried chicken, how were the waffles with corn syrup and what stood out?

Could you smoke inside? What if I came along and ordered both breakfast and lunch, would that have been okay with everyone? Could I have ordered a mint julep too? What if I said that I was reliving the same day over and over again? Was there a payphone?

• Southern Expat says:

I feel like there’s been a huge miscommunication somewhere along the road we’re traveling, and it involves Chicken and Waffles. I’ll concede to Mister Lickona that it’s a dish eaten in the South, but Waffle House is not where you go to get it. Waffle House is where you go to get regular waffles, but more important: it is where you go to get hash browns. I prefer mine scattered, covered, chunked, diced, and capped. This is what I have any time of day, along with grits. Very wholesome.

Nobody I know drinks mint juleps.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Ms Expat,

Mr Webb’s reference to ‘waffles with corn syrup’ is a clue that he is probably referring to this bit of a bit Percy wrote for Conde Nast Traveler, in which the Doctor did praise Waffle House’s chicken, but did not specify whether it was fried and/or eaten with waffles:

The best restaurant in Covington, where I live, is the Waffle House, a chain restaurant located just off the Interstates throughout the South. Not only is the standard waffle and sausages superb, the chicken is the best anywhere. The people are pleasant… One bite of waffle drenched in butter and corn syrup, plus Tennessee sausage, plus a huge glass of sweet iced tea, the waitress calling you honey, the Picayune opened to the latest political skullduggery, the traffic on U.S. 190 booming along – it’s not a bad life.

• Matthew Lickona says:

A quick check of the menu shows that, at least days, the chicken at Waffle House is grilled, not fried. And it is not offered in combination with the waffle. It is the case, however, that if Gerasene ever lands in LA, I will lobby somewhat forcefully for a visit to Roscoe’s chicken ‘n waffles. And I will mention my attendance at a certain documentary screening for leverage.

4. Matthew Lickona says:

“I want to eat all of that – right now.” – The Wife.

5. Thanks to all.