Surfing with Mel: Getting meta for the opening scene, losing my job, etc.

The opening shot is straight out of the comments, as is the notion of making a film (thanks, Not-Ted).

Comments

1. Awesome.

2. Boom. So why aren’t you and Whit Stillman co-writing a movie together Mr. Lickona?

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Paul, rumor has it that Lickona and Stillman co-wrote a ton of screenplays over the course of a decade. Stillman broke off the partnership shortly before writing what would become Damsels in Distress.

• I’m watching Turn the River (Chris Eigeman – director) and there’s a grandmother character who’d decidedly an old-school Catholic. Can’t stand guitars at Mass, singing the Our Father, etc.
        I’m only halfway through, so I don’t know how she turns out looking in the end, but she’s not presented in the best light. Then again, just about everyone else has their own problems.

Wonder how this would have been as an Eigeman-Lickona vehicle.

• Matthew Lickona says:

Paul, You’re a better Stillman fan than I am – I didn’t even know Eigeman had directed a film.

• Well you know how it is with Catholic converts being more Katholic than cradle Catholics sometimes….
            You converted me to Stillman haha… I never dormed at college, so I never had a poster of Metropolitan on my wall, so you’ve got me there!

3. Matthew Lickona says:

Thanks, Darwin. Paul, you know who else asks me that question? The piece of paper I have had taped on the wall above my computer since 1991.
    *weeps*
    By the way, Damsels in Distress is SUPER CATHOLIC. Or have I said that already?

4. Bernardo says:

Matthew Bebona, eh? Isn’t that a character invented by one Thomas Lickona? If I recall, his childhood exploits deserve retelling in this here blog.

5. Imelda/Sophia, O.P. says:

Oooh, now let’s cast it.

Robert Downey as Greed? Symmetry?

But who has the right amount of desperation to play Bebona? Turturro and Buscemi, too old.

Who does midlife intellectualism with just the right combination of despair and nebbishness? Adrian Brody? I’d hazard Owen Wilson, but I worry about him.

6. notrelatedtoted says:

Did you hear that tape that Essterhas released today? He’s gonna murder you and your entire family.

WHO WANTS TO *****ING EAT! HUUURAAAY!!!

7. Jonathan Webb says:

Words fail me, that was terrific.

8. That was amazing. I doff my hat, Sugar Tits.

9. Matthew Lickona says:

Well, thanks for the kind words. The real challenge will be actually finishing the damn thing as a short story in script format, then selling it as a Kindle Single. When The Wife says I should write something…

10. Speaking of meta screenplays, have I mentioned that Churchill and I are collaborating on a dark, surrealist comedy called “Being Matthew Lickona”?

• Matthew Lickona says:

It’s conceptually brilliant, because it starts over every ten minutes, with each re-start seeming more promising than the last. But none of the storylines ever reaches a conclusion, making it ultimately unsatisfying. The difference is, in the case of the film, that’s sort of the point.

11. The Extraordinary Wife says:

Too many inside jokes for me…