What I Spent My Birthday Money On

“Sacred Heart” oil on board by Casey Lynch

Comments

1. Matthew Lickona says:

Oil on board, indeed. That is clearly a back tat. Still, a highly worthwhile expenditure. Happy birthday.

2. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Mazal tov & ad multos annos!

(That goes for Mr Webb, too, since I was late to his party.)

How big is the board? Big enough to use as a headboard?

• Jonathan Potter says:

Thanks Angelico. It could work as a headboard. I’m trying to talk Ashley into letting me hang it over the mantel, though. I have her interior decorator sister on my side, so it could happen.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Good luck getting your way, sir — though if you can’t, maybe you could sell the painting to the House of Blues.

I note with interest that the cummings quotation continues the typewritten aesthetic of House of Words. Possible cover art for the next collection?

3. Jonathan Webb says:

Potter’s back indeed. Only it should have been on velvet.

4. What are the dimensions? If you position it right it could look very cool above the mantel. I have a couple things up there one is the Daniel Mitsui (sp?) that Lickonas got us, I just lean them up there. Usually off center. It’s kinda cool. But yes, good luck winning. I am a wife after all and yes though D has very strong opinions, I get last word.

• Jonathan Potter says:

2′ x 4′ and the colors pull nicely from the rug, walls, and bamboo blinds. But everything else in the room is quite a bit more on the subtle and subdued side. And an array of framed pictures of the children currently spans the mantel shelf and would have to go.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Mel, I’m a Mitsui fan! If I may ask, what’s the subject of the Mitsui that graces your mantle?

• It’s the crucifixion detailed with depictions of some of epic stories in the bible in miniature around the outer edges. It is pretty much phenomenal. (thank you Lickonas). I like to think it’s artistically leaning there. But I do need to actually frame it…..

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Thanks for the description! I love it when artists (or homilists) draw comparisons between events from the Bible. That’s also a great way to pray the Rosary.

And in a work of religious art, it also makes a better value for money: multiple pictures for the price of one!