Mr. JOB is writing a novel (too)

Channeling Chaucer, O’Connor and Pushkin, I still haven’t found the ending, but here’s the beginning of the beginning…

Comments

1. This.

2. Jonathan Potter says:

I’m observing NaNoProcrastoMo.

3. Jonathan Webb says:

Thanks JOB, I’ll read it when I have more time.

You’re a great writer and a great person.

4. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

Verse novels (tend to) make the world a better place.

Good luck with this one. You may not have found the ending, but I have a strong sense that there will (probably) be blood.

5. Cubeland Mystic says:

Welcome to the club.

Here is the first lines of my novel.

“Normally these things don’t happen to me, but I was sitting in the bar having a drink when two totally hot redheads walked in and sat on either side of me. I wouldn’t have thought anything of it except I was the only dude in the place. I had no idea that I was about to have a night I would never forget.”

It sort of goes on from there into all kinds of detailed adventures. There is a happy ending too.

• Howtofore doth one gain access to the rest?

• Matthew Lickona says:

Your local tobacconist might have a copy in the back.

• What’s the password?

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says:

If your local tobacconist is anything like mine, I wouldn’t trust him. A few anecdotes:

1) I needed an inexpensive and compact Bible, and someone told me that the tobacconist sold ‘cheap’ ‘little’ ones, imported from Tijuana. I bought one, but upon returning home was shocked to discover that it resembled no Bible I had seen before (except perhaps R. Crumb’s Book of Genesis). I assume these must be Protestant editions. Caveat emptor.

2) A friend of mine recently told me to go to the tobacconist (specifically) to buy some ‘French letters’. But both my friend and I are French-illiterate. When I pointed out to her the absurdity of buying letters (‘letters’? not even pamphlets or booklets?) in a language neither of us could read, she pinched my cheek, winked, and said we should study together. I have no idea what she meant, but I am certain on a gut level that it reflects badly on tobacconists.

3) Wednesday, an acquaintance (not a friend) went in to buy his weekly supply of ‘zigzag papers’ (?), and said that the tobacconist tried to push an ‘advance copy’ (the tobacconist’s words) of ‘Augustine’s Member’ on him — which makes my local tobacconist either a liar, or a liar AND an intellectual-property pirate.

Figured y’all should know. Just because the plural of anecdote isn’t data, doesn’t mean forewarned isn’t forearmed.