Just when I’d finished trimming off all the green, twisted, curls…

Apparently, it wasn’t enough for Mrs. Darwin to go and write a novel.  Apparently, Mr. Darwin had to go and write something of his own.  Something fictitious.  He’s looking for comments.  Go thou and read.  And comment.

Comments

1. The Malaise says

In the world of the internet, everyone can have his four thousand words of non-fame.

2. Matthew, there’s no need to be so dire about it. It’s important that we support one another in our mission of trying to write things…

(READS STORY)

(muttering, sound of ice cubes clanking)

How long you think it will take me to grow my hair out green like yours?

3. Matthew, what you write is obviously extremely well written, intelligent, but, I’m afraid, morally questionable, and perhaps not all that easy for foreign visitors to follow.

4. But I look forward to your response to comments and questions, which I am sure will show your calibre.

5. Jonathan Webb says

The more I think about it the more I am sure that she should make a book about rabbits. As I said, Watership Down was very popular and they made a Watership Down movie as you may recall. Beatrix Potter is still widely read. And there are many rabbit books on Amazon that are highly rated. Harvey was a popular movie for its time and it was based on a equally popular play. So, I think she should write a book about rabbits.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says

One story someone should attempt is a noir set in 1940s San Francisco. The main character would be a moderately successful family man named George, who’s clearly (though not explicitly) worked his way up from poverty over the last ten years of his life. But his past would catch up with him, in the form of a hulking, sadistic brute (face obscured) who arrives in San Francisco and sets about destroying George’s life on multiple fronts, like a ’40s Count of Monte Cristo. The twist would be that the giant stranger’s name is Lennie, and the story is a sequel to ‘Of Mice and Men’.

6. Quin Finnegan says

I like it a lot. Reminds me a little of David Lodge’s Deaf Sentence. Last line kills. “Kills” is what the kids now say when something is really good.

7. Jonathan Webb says

That era in the Bay Area is very evocative for me. Back before the tall skyscrapers in San Francisco and you could the curvature of Russian Hill and Nob Hill and Telegraph Hill.

8. Jonathan Webb says
    • Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OP says

That was a treat, Mr Webb. Thank you very much.

‘It was like watching a film of bygone days in which, by virtue merely of the lapsed time, the subject is invested with an archaic sweetness and wholeness all the more touching for its being exposed as an illusion. People even walked faster, like the crowds in silent films, surging to and fro in a wavelike movement, their faces set in expressions of serious purpose so patent as to be funny and tender. Everyone acted as if he knew exactly what he was doing and this was the funniest business of all.’

— ‘The Last Gentleman’, Chapter Two, Part 1