From the Korrektiv’s Diktionary Files

The word of the day is… PARTHENOGENESIS.

Assignment: Use as the last word on the first (fourth and seventh) line of a triolet.

Prize: After all entries(to be posted in comments below) are judged, the winning entry will recieve a copy of Arthur Quinn’s “Figures of Speech: 60 Ways to Turn a Phrase” (Routledge).

Comments

1. There is a woe, unique in cases of parthenogenesis,
    when no father paces, glowing, or passes out a cigar
    to each passing stranger, pausing only to reminisce.
    Yes, there is a woe, unique to parthenogenesis:

even kids know there should at least have been a kiss.
    Ask Athena; ask Dolly—les filles se croyaient très bizarre—
    they understand the woe unique to parthenogenesis,
    who have no fathers pacing, or pausing over a glowing cigar.

2. I’m going to have to withdraw this, temporarily. Why? Because Athena had a father, of course—Zeus. My Greek mythology ain’t what it used to be. I liked the mythological reference, and hey: The Parthenon! And I don’t think Dolly the cloned sheep technically qualifies as a case of parthenogenesis.

Maybe Gaia (who brought forth Ouranos before taking him as a mate) will have to do.

Perhaps:

even kids know there should at least have been a kiss.
    Ask a Gaia; ask Kaguya—les filles se croyaient très bizarres—
    they understand the woe unique to parthenogenesis,
    who have no fathers pacing, or pausing over glowing cigars.

But it doesn’t have the same ring.

• Jeb,

Most excellent. You must be related somehow to be so quick to answer the challenge.

As for the small matters you raise, well, you’ve got that little card in your wallet, right? The one issued to you from the Poetic Administrative Bureau: License Unwriting Ministry – that takes care of the little points of accuracy you raise…. Just be sure to send in a hefty check next time PABLUM fires up their booster season and they start passing around the hat.

So. Any other challengers, or is O’Brian going to walk off with this thing uncontested?

Deadline is Monday – Aug. 22, feast of the Queenship ocf the Blessed Virgin Mary and birthday of Ray Bradbury.

3. Priests and cannibals
    Prehistoric animals
    Everybody happy as the dead come home
    Big black nemesis
    Parthenogenesis
    No one move a muscle as the dead come home
    – Shriekback, “Nemesis”

I know the old college DJ days would come in handy someday.

• But it’s not a triolet.

We want a triolet.

We’ll even close a blind eye to the fact that you’re officially associated with this website.

But we want a triolet.

4. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

‘Frank Gehry, Walt Disney Concert Hall’

As if the work’s parthenogenesis
    Were genius, he warped the silver wall
    To swerve and curve, all snares of ‘style’ to miss,
    As if the work’s parthenogenesis
    Were imprimatur of his genius:
    An ironclad iconoclastic scrawl,
    As if the work’s parthenogenesis
    Were genius. He warped the silver wall.

5. Well, we’ve got the tiger – or in this case, the mouse – by the tail now!

Good going Angelico Nguyen – and welcome (if this is your first visit) to the Korrektiv!

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

Thank you, sir!

I came here for the Godsbody and stayed for the Kollektiv.

Please keep up the tomfoolery, satire, and apocalyptic marianism. It is a needed service.

6. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

Here’s a second shot — if not for the prize, at least for the lulz.

‘Unneeded’

My daughter says parthenogenesis
    Engenders life in ovocytes unseeded;
    Her flint eyes pierce my brown ones. ‘Incubus?!’
    My daughter says. ‘Parthenogenesis
    ‘Needs no such mystical hypothesis.’
    Mom, granite-eyed, agrees — my jest unheeded.
    My daughter says parthenogenesis
    Engenders life in ovocytes unseeded.

• I believe Dappled Things would like to see these things.

Please submit ASAP!

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

Hot dog! For reals? I certainly trust you to have a good idea of what kinds of things Dappled Things would like to see, so I will send ’em in and hope for the best. Thank you for the friendly jolt.

7. ‘Christians in Exam Room 4’

They look. I lie, “Parthenogenesis.
    Rare case. Call it a miracle…”
    He interrupts, “What is–?”
    “Birth of your savior? That was parthenogenesis.”
    Wondering how he can believe this.
    She’s quiet, grateful; He’s rapturous, hysterical.
    Father-to-be plays with the word: “par-then-o-genesis?”
    “Yep, no accident…a miracle.”

8. Okay, final version:

There is a kind of grief, begotten by parthenogenesis,
    when no father paces, glowing, or passes out a cigar
    to each passing stranger, pausing only to reminisce.
    How great the grief inherited through parthenogenesis,

for even children know there should have been a kiss.
    Ask Gaia; ask Dolly—les filles se croyaient très bizarres—
    they understand the grief peculiar to parthenogenesis,
    who have no fathers pacing, or pausing over glowing cigars.

• I preferred Athena, personally, but it will not be counted against you.

For the Gaia thing works well when you consider how we’re abusing her spirit in Dolly.

9. Jonathan Potter says:

Did Jobe form Jeb by parthenogenesis?
    A nom de plume or fictional character?
    How much of Jobe’s beer is in Jeb’s piss?
    Did Jobe form Jeb by parthenogenesis?

The author hits what others miss
    Page after page and chapter to chapter.
    Did Jobe form Jeb by parthogenesis?
    A nom de plume or fictional character?

• Jonathan,

Thanks for this – the spirit of a Limerick in the body of a Triolet – would that be a Triorick or a Limerlet?

• Jeb O'Brian says:

Many thanks, Jonathan; that’s the kindest thing I’ve ever read.

But …

Jeb begat Jobe through parthenogenesis,
      For the child is the father of the man
      Long before there’s a Mrs., or even a Miss.
      No, Jobe begat Jeb through parthenogenesis

After drinking a ten beers and taking a piss.
      So each to each is now an also-ran …
      Jeb, er … Jobe, err… jibba jabba parthenogenesis,
      Neither child is the father of no man …

10. Tom Tousignant says:

The naturalist and the dogma

The source of nature’s always-being?
    Divine parthenogenesis.
    Found from lizards to heaven’s Queen:
    The source of nature’s always-Being,
    Who makes with methods byzantine.
    My case in point: the genesis,
    The source of nature, ‘s always being
    Divine Parthenogenesis.

11. Tom Tousignant says:

Thanks for the welcome-I have enjoyed reading this blog for some months now.

12. Oh, Father – No father! Damn parthenogenesis!
    Taken forever, a most precious tie.
    Denied the advantages, pluses, and benefits
    Of having a father! For parthenogenesis,
    A book full of curses! Just pick one, for any fits.
    Crying for justice, in vain do I cry.
    Each Father’s Day blank – thanks to parthenogenesis,
    I never can give him a most precious tie.

13. Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

‘With Malice toward None, with Charity for All’

(To Potter and Tousignant)

Is this repeating of ‘parthenogenesis’
    Thrice the one rule all our foes are observing?
    Was their triolet research so barebones, de minimis?
    Is this repeating of ‘parthenogenesis’
    (Not the starts of the lines, just the ‘partheno-’ finishes)
    Close enough that JOB calls all our rivals deserving?
    IS this?! Repeating of ‘parthenogenesis’
    Thrice: The one rule all our foes are observing.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

‘Trian’

There once were two scribes named O’Brian
      And Ape, who deserved praise for trian,
      But one mustn’t forget
      That a true triolet
      Triplicates not just words, but the lian.

• Vanity compels me to plead not guilty to the charge of ignorance, and in defense to plead guilty instead to conscious and deliberate malfeasance. I am aware of the rules for triolets; however I believe that variation* in the repeated lines is permissible when the theme is unserious and the occasion informal.

* One will notice that the word “Father” is also in the main repeating lines 1, 4, 7, so that there was not simply repetition of the final word; and that line 2 contains “Taken forever”, while line 8 contains “never can give”: an inverse repetition. The majority may consider this licentiousness rather than license.

(I will confess to ignorance only insofar as I thought there were precedents for at least some variation; I performed a superficial Google search ex post facto and did not find any.)

Vanity also compels me to attempt to demonstrate that I can so write a properly-formed triolet when necessary:

Fatherless, feminist parthenogenesis:
        Dark and mysterious instrumentality
        Of lonely and cold generation; oh, whence come this
        Fatherless, feminist parthenogenesis?
        From some misandrous and grim-humored Nemesis
        Down upon man falls this fatal finality:
        Fatherless, feminist parthenogenesis,
        Dark and mysterious instrumentality.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

Mr. Ape:

If I really did injure your pride beyond a spot of pique, please accept my sincere apology. I have enjoyed your occasional verse too much and for too long to mistake your deliberate choice for ignorance. Though I did fail to explain, the reason I singled you and ‘Mr. O’Brian’ out with a follow-up limerick was precisely because it was clear that both of you were experimenting with the form, repeating and reworking words in a more sophisticated way than ‘mere’ repetition of the whole line. I hope the Loose (or Apish?) Triolet becomes a widely recognized precedent, and may cite it myself in the future. (That said, your orthodox example is a lustrous little black pearl, and I am only sorry to have given the irritation that occasioned its making.)

Best of luck, sir, assuming that this contest is still on — or that it ever really was.

• Oh dear. I must apologize to YOU, sir. My pride is uninjured, and any injury to my vanity is self-inflicted, by flying off the handle as I did (I had intended my reply to be a sort of parody of overreaction, but I let a little too much sincerity get into it).

I wish you luck also – your two entries are excellent (especially the second)!

I have updated my blog with an apology also.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

Being Catholic means always having to say you’re sorry.

I hope this round of apologies was as cathartic for you as it was for me.

I also hope you’ll have the chance (and, while the window of opportunity is open, the will) to versify more often. No pressure or nothing; you’ve left plenty to enjoy as it is.

And thank you very, very much for the kind encouragement.

• Incidentally, the contest is real. The judges are still getting their Kollektiv heads together on best, second best, third best, etc.

• Tom Tousignant says:

We can’t let this end so quickly. I present(tongue planted firmly in cheek) the formalist position:

“Follow the rules,” your mother said.
                Both form and content make the poem.
                The few, for whom muse-light is shed,
                follow. The rules your mother said,
                were made to make kids make the bed-
                but even old bards far from home
                follow the rules. Your mother said
                “form and content make the poem.”

• Makes me want to try (tie?) one on mesself…

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says:

JOB, thanks for the clarification/update! Waiting for contest results is like an unscratchable itch, but being able to expect relief is itself a relief.

And Tom Tousignant: !!!