New Movie by the Guy Who Almost Made The Moviegoer into a Movie

Terrence Malick is a filmmaker like no other. If you’ve never seen The Thin Red Line, get it asap and carve out a few leisurely summer hours to savor it. Or don’t. But consider it.

Is Malick still holding an option on The Moviegoer? I hope so. Shoot, does he know about the New Orleans conference?

Anyway, he’s got a new movie out and I’d like to go see it.

Comments

1. Jonathan Webb says

Me too. Yes, see Thin Red Line without hesitation.

• Saw Tree of Life last night, and it’s pretty great. Malick does some deep thinking with film here, far beyond even those meditative moments in Thin Red Line. While using images, music and archetypical (rather than dramatic) characters is hardly unprecedented in cinema, I think this is about as mainstream a release as you’re likely to see. 2001 is as close a comparison as I can think of, but Tree of Life is much more human, even if it’s almost entirely without plot.

There are a number of Percy moments in the movie: his use of Brahms in particular seems to me as obvious as that Lancelot plant in the Lost episode, and some of Brad Pitt’s mannerisms are remeiscent of the captain in Lost in the Cosmos.

As far as the WPC, look for Malick at the back of the room, maybe wearing shades and wig.

• Jonathan Potter says

What are your days off these days?

• Jonathan Potter says

That’s what I meant. He’s a “mainstream” filmmaker like no other. There are lots of those artsy-fartsy filmmakers you’re so fond of making movies like this, of course.

• Jonathan Potter says

Heck, it’s even showing here in Spokane!

• Something else worth noting: Malick studied Heidegger and is very well regarded for his translation of “Essence of Reasons” … Heidegger being a fairly significant influence on Percy. My guess this is that this is at least part of the appeal The Moviegoer had for him.

• Jonathan Potter says

Bingo! So we need to personally invite Malick to attend your presentation on Binx and Being.

Why don’t we have a press release out yet?

2. Jonathan Webb says

Let’s workshop.

Some weisenheimer already saw it.

• Angelico Nguyen, Esq., OPL says

Malick’s idea of relating ‘cosmic’ and ‘domestic’ IS powerful, and he executes it beautifully in many scenes. But he also blows a whole lot of hot air into a whole lot of bubbles. The notion of bursting those bubbles MST3K-style, as you propose (and illustrate!) at the _Reader_, falls somewhere between ‘great’ and ‘necessary’.

Wouldn’t you know, it’s even possible:

4. Thin Red Line? I saw it, thinking “wow, there’s a war movie I haven’t seen and it has Jim Caveziel and Sean Penn in it?” Ugh, terrible movie imao. Plodding and too long.