Birthday hangover haiku

Yesterday was Quin’s
birthday. Quin’s the Catholic blog-
osphere’s Hugh Hefner.

Comments

1. Quin Finnegan says

No bunnies or bath
    robe here; just a bus driver:
    Ralph without a wife.

Maybe Howard Hughes?
    Same number of syllables
    and identical

initials – same name,
    in fact (first for last), and this:
    Eccentric Recluse.

In any case, thank
    you. To be remembered at
    all is a blessing.

2. Happy Birthday for yesterday, and Happy Thanksgiving for today.

3. Quin Finnegan says

Thanks, Anon. Say, do you like jazz? I'm here in Seattle cleaning up the apt this morning, and listening to local KPLU, and it's just fantastic. A great mix of everything from Bix Beiderbecke to smooth jazz remakes of Radiohead.

But you don't have to be in Seattle. You can listen to it here: http://www.jazz24.org/

4. Quin,

When Liber drinks up
    It's a benefice for all –
    A shared birthday song.

Live long and all that.

Best,

5. Quin Finnegan says

Thank you, JOB!

6. Phil McCracken says

Happy Birthday, Hugh. I made this for you. Ships tomorrow. Sorry it's late.

7. Quin Finnegan says

Thanks, Phil! As luck would have it, I'm heading up to Guemes later today for the T-Day festivities, so I can just pick up Ms. Biel then.

Can't wait!

8. Thanks, Quin for the suggestion.

9. Jonathan Webb says

Happy birthday dude.

10. Rufus McCain says

"Quin Finnegan, The
    Man and the Myth" tonight on
    the Playboy Channel.

11. Rufus McCain says

I'm trying to develop the myth, in preparation of the release of Bird's Nest in Your Hair.

12. Quin Finnegan, I like your name.

13. Quin Finnegan says

Thank you, Clare, that's very kind. I'll pass it on to me Da.

In Latin, "quin" is an interrogative pronoun in a principal clause, meaning – according to Lewis and Short – why not? or wherefore not? (only in exhortation or remonstrance; not in asking for information) … as in this famous line from the comedy by Terence, The Self Tormenter: Quid stas, lapis? Quin accipis? … "Why do you stand there, (like) a rock)? Why do you not accept (it)?"

This, obviously, is fairly rich material that has often inspired me: for virtually anything, Why not? Really, why not? Although I would also have to admit that the lines from Terence have revealed me as something of Self Tormenter: Why do I stand like a rock? Does this mean I'm dependable? Or just dependably stubborn? Why don't I accept … whatever it is that needs to be accepted?

The family name "Finnegan" goes back a long ways … at least as far as my great, great, etc. Grandda, Tim Finnegan, a hod-carrier and a giant of a man. Some of the family mythology actually has us related to one Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker, but Da is known to play a little fast and loose with the truth, so I have my doubts.

14. The Ironic Catholic says

Better watch it–Christopher West will be making you his hero next–

(if you don't get that, eh, consider yourself lucky)

15. Southern Expat says

Too little; too late
    Still, my birthday gift to you:
    an extra syllable.