CCH

Brick

The wisdom of youth
Sees past sophistication
Guides the parting shot

An absolutely remarkable ending. I’d yammer on, but I don’t want to spoil it.

Comments

1. Dorian Speed says:

I have “Brick” and “Thumbsucker” on my Netflix cue. Going for a hat trick of “teens in trouble” movies after “Chumscrubber.” I just wish “Brick” was titled something like “Fuddrucker’s” for thematic similiarity.

There is something about reading John Cheever and watching movies about the ennui of the suburbs that makes you read a little too much into everyday conversations.

2. Matthew Lickona says:

Dorian,
    Brick is different. It’s very much a traditional film noir, but set in high school. And the title, I think, makes a remarkable double reference…

3. Mark Lickona says:

So much to say about this movie. For starters, if you hate noir, you’re going to hate or love this movie. Hate it because it’s uber-noir, but at the same time, that’s how it’s its own spoof, not to mention the fact that it takes place in high school, meaning that you’re treated to scences like the gothy, gimpy, big-eared drug lord being served a glass of milk by his mom during a high-stakes tete-a-tete with our hard-boiled teenage hero. Then there’s the fact that noir and high school are made for each other: They’re both oh-too-much. Except when they’re not–that is, when the super-smart, super-cool, mile-a-minute verbiage slows down or stops altogether, and what comes through is the picture of the twisted awfulness that child-adults of all ages really do make of their lives.

4. Mark Lickona says:

Reflecting this morning on the curious moral purity of the film. This hard-boiled private-eye’s not in it for the money, or because of pride (won’t be beaten/outsmarted/etc.), but because he loved the girl who was killed. And the fact that he continues to mourn her leaves him untouchable–immune to temptation. (We do see him take comfort in the embrace of the femme fatale, but it doesn’t look like any clothes came off that night.)

5. CCH

Beerfest

Beer beer Milwaukee
    Beer Milwaukee Beer Beer
    Beer Milbeerkee Beer

Beeringly,

6. Dorian Speed says:

1. I thought the fact that the femme fatale was smoking a cigarette after a “fade-to-black” meant that clothes had come off and were put back on.

2. I loved the scene where Tug (is that his name?) goes to bash in the hero’s face with the ceramic rooster and then walks off with it.

7. Matthew Lickona says:

Well, it was at least suggested, I’ll grant – but in the original cut of the film, it was more than suggested. I thought it interesting that the director cut the scene from the preview in which she’s pulling on her shirt, that he made the decision to keep it at least a little bit ambiguous.

Yeah, it’s Tug. Great scene.